Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My first post in ages: Module 2 - Tasks. >_<

1. What information about a user's email, the origin of a message, and the path it took, can you glean from an email message?


2. In what cases would you find it useful to use the 'cc', 'bcc' and 'reply all functions of email?

Reply, generally when responding to a message from a single person. CC is useful when sending to people related, but not directly involved. BCC is  useful if you don't want the others to know... perhaps when a third-party is involved... but I've never wanted to use it because I don't like this notion of secrecy.


3. In what ways can you ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the receiver?

With the graphical interfaces in todays e-mail programs generally means issues like encoding have been dwarfed into the background. Usually I like to send files in standard format like Microsoft (bleh?) Office or PDF files. Once someone sent me a file saved in Microsoft Works and I couldn't open it without downloading a huge file converter program. Also, I usually ZIP files to make them smaller, so less bandwidth and transfer time.


4. What sorts of filters or rules do you have set up, and for what purpose?

I visit some forums with auto-notification if there is a reply in any thread that I have written it. Most auto-notification emails come with standard lines, such as 'has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled' and all emails with that line, go into my 'updates' folder. That sadly is the only filter I am using.


5. How have you organised the folder structure of your email and why?

I've had my main email account since the start of high-school and, I didn't use folders then and I don't use them now.. With the inbuilt email search function, I can generally find an email if I need it, but in my position, email is not a critical thing, and what I have is an inbox of hundreds of emails (from friends, family, business mixed into one,.) and a single folder as above for forum replies.


Re: Lists
I like what David Griffith wrote on this.
So basically, mailing lists are good for low-traffic stuff with a single email gaining your attention when you need it and this single email can be filtered into a folder so it doesn't get lost in the hole that is my email inbox..

Re: Chat
link.

Never really came around to doing the group task. >_>


I am tired.
I have work tomorrow, but I have a day off on ..Thursday of all days.

It is now a-quarter-to-twelve and I am going to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment