Friday, February 27, 2009

Module Four - Tasks


Downloading tools/ plug-ins task
In your learning log record which programs you downloaded and note which (if any) facets you think might prove useful.


I already have Adobe Reader installed, I used to have Fox-it, but one day it decided to render all my pages in reverse, and I uninstalled it and went back to Adobe..



Flash/Shockwave: I don't think there are any alternative programs for this one..


Media players: I have CCCP and VLC Player installed. Generally I use CCCP for playing files and VLC for streaming. Also I have Real Alternative installed. Quote: "Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer"


I don't have a search manager/combiner installed. I was going to try Glooton for Mac and Windows but the page was in french (and I'm running out of time, silly me.) On to Copernic, 'the desktop search solution you've been waiting for'. I really don't want to install this; I think this is going to take over my default Vista search, that I've finally for set up as I like it... On to the later tasks until I might need to install it.


edit: I needed to install Copernic Agent, and not Copernic Desktop Search...


5. Bookmark manager: Well I have Google Chrome, which last time I checked has a 900+MB internet cache, and all my bookmarks which I move from computer to computer on a USB stick..


6. Offline browser: >_<>

Searching the web - search engine task
I searched 'anime tv australia' into google. As in, Anime on TV in Australia, because Australia has little Anime on free-to-air channels..


Copernic:
1. www.jbhifi.com.au
2. www.GraysOnline.com.au
3. www.TheElectronicDiscounter.com.au
4. WebPrice.com.au/Bravia/LCD/TV/

Now this is sad.. They are sponsored results, but they aren't even remotely related..

5. www.animeaustralia.com
6. http://www.fansub.tv/published.php/4211/Anime%20Australia/
7. http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=52780 (the first result of the google search)
8. http://www.ask.com/bar?q=anime+tv+australia&page=1&qsrc=0&zoom=Anime+TV+OnlineAnime+Internet+TVAnime+TV+Series&ab=0&u=http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=52780 (the same thing, but redirected through a different search engine...)
9. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/1998-08-09/evangelion-to-show-on-australia-tv (the third result of the google search)

Boolean searching task.
Most results: anime or tv or australia
Most relevant: anime and tv and australia
From university sources: ?!?!?! did I miss something?
I have a feeling that 'or' and 'and' didn't work with google... ie. i can't search for 'cats not dogs' but I can search 'cats -dogs'.


Organising search information task
I don't quite understand this task. Usually I work in real time and do my searching when I need it, not all at the start.. Bibliography is also worked in realtime, into a MS Word document..
Evaluating the web

I’ve chosen to evaluate this particular site, which is dated January 12, 2009.

http://www.digimorph.org/index.phtml

This article was expertly written by professionals from the University of Texas, Austin, and then catalogued in this archive by the National Science Foundation Digital Library at UT Austin. The article is well referenced and professionally written.

The article gives a brief description on Anomalepidid snakes and other specimens on information such as characteristics, habitat and habits. It is designed to be a brief reference for research purposes and university use.

Details of the early blind-snakes (Anomalepidid snakes) can also be found in the following web-site.

http://www.anat.sunysb.edu/kleylab/Kley(2003a).pdf



OT: searching for my own blog through google, I found on the 6th page of a search for 'namaiki'. A search for 'namaiki net 11' or 'namaiki net11' brings it up as the first result. :p


No comments:

Post a Comment